Are You Desperate to See?

Jesus didn't die so we could have a religion.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

A Broken God?

I learned something new about God today. I suppose that's what it is all about, but this was learning about his character.

Ali: "You never really know what you are going to do when you are in that situation."
Me: "I couldn't even imagine."
Ali: "I always thought if it ever happened I would know exactly what I would do but when it actually did, there were so many factors. You love the person, you know?"
Me: "Yeah."

I read Jeremiah Ch. 1-5. God described himself as a husband that provided everything to his wife only to have her run out of the house and have sex with other men in public places where everyone could see like hilltops and the side of the road. He also described himself as a father who gave his son the most beautiful inheritance ever only to have the son never acknowledge or speak to his father.

I never pictured God as really grieving or as people having the ability to break his heart. But that's exactly what happens when we backslide and don't acknowledge him. When we try to do things our way and break his rules on purpose out of spite or rebellion, it breaks him. I do not even want to fathom what it would be like to have a husband who cheated on me, let alone out in public where everyone knows about his betrayal. How hurt God must be when his people act as if they don't know him!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home