Are You Desperate to See?

Jesus didn't die so we could have a religion.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I Wanna Talk to Jesus!!!

How many times have you had a day that was horrible (or a month or a year) and you just wish that you could sit with Jesus face to face and have a conversation with him? How often have you had a question because things in life don't make sense and you wish that your time on earth coincided with Jesus' time on earth just so you could get a glimpse of him. Sure you have heard the promise, "Blessed are those who do not see and yet still believe." But sometimes if Jesus would just show up so we could sit with him, it would make all the difference in the world.

Guess what? You want to have Jesus in front of you? What if I said he is already in your house? In something tangible, real, and life-giving?

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. vs. 14- The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.


As revealed in John, Jesus is the Word. That means that the time you spend in the Word is time spent with Jesus. You want to know, "What would Jesus say?" You may ask, "How would Jesus react?" (This is a good question. See Amy's recent post.) Spend time with him. You have access to his very person in every word of that Bible.

I found out that Jesus was the cloud and fire in the desert with the Israelites. He was the one who spoke and created earth. He has been with his people from the beginning and we don't usually know it. He is sitting on your bookshelf, waiting to reveal something new. He might be on your nightstand, beckoning. He wants to show you his nail pierced hands. He wants you to touch his side. See his eyes; feel his embrace. Come to know his mind and especially to know his heart.

Begin to have coffee breaks with Jesus daily. Some people complain they don't have time, their minds can't focus or they don't get anything from reading the Word.

I have been raised rooted in the Word. For years and years I read the Word trying to scratch meaning out of what I was reading. Sometimes I would "get lucky" and read a passage that spoke to my immediate situation. But more times than not, I would close my Bible and wonder how that applies to me. What I have found is that the Word is not a quick fix, the return comes from saving up your time in the Word. It is like exercise (which I hate, but my body is a gift from God and I need to honor it). Exercise usually has no immediate payoff. Sure, sometimes I get home and feel triumphant that I even made it out. But usually, I walk back in the door thinking, "The point of that was?" I still have jiggly thighs. They haven't budged a centimeter. But over time, exercise shows a return. Double chins disappear, pants get looser and eventually the thighs start to thin out.

I have read the Bible, shut it and felt like my time would have been just as well spent listening to the radio or reading a different book. But at certain times, God will be showing me a new truth, and the Spirit starts to work all these passages together. I begin to recall this passage and that passage and I see how the truth is woven through all of them for this one theme. I do not have them all memorized, but the Spirit blows the dust off my memory banks and flowers start to bloom where the seed was planted.

P.S. I believe strongly in the fear of the Lord, but I feel just as strongly in a Jesus that knows us intimately and wants us to have a very personal relationship back to him.

2 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

Amber Lynn,
That was a great post. You know, sometimes we get so busy "doing" things that we neglect the important things... Christ doesn't care how much we do as much He cares about why we're doing it. Thanks for the encouragement on my blog yesterday! I'll keep visiting your blog :)
Cindy

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

YOU encouraged ME, now. Thanks. :) I love how you brought up the theophanies in the OT.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home