Are You Desperate to See?

Jesus didn't die so we could have a religion.

Friday, February 25, 2005

THIS is the anthem...

I'm not giving in. I'm not giving up. I will not let discouragement take hold. I am not here to prove that I can fix things. I am here to prove that I am a servant of God and I will obey him. He knows what people want and what people need to have a better relationship with him. He can discern the heart and know people's motives. He can decipher what the teens need.

I know that most people hold the attitude that "Teens will be teens." Most people believe that teens will go through stuff on a larger, more dramatic scale than children or adults. They feel it is a "coming of age" ritual in America for people 12-22 to just act however they want. I feel it doesn't have to be the norm. I don't think I should shrug in expected indifference when I hear a teenager has started smoking pot, drinking daily, having pre-marital sex, tried to commit suicide, has run away or any other harmful thing that they might experiment with.

It's a cop out. It frees us from responsibility. We don't know what to do, so we shrug and say there is nothing we can do.

I am searching God to see what can be done. I am searching to know his heart for his teens. Many of our teens come from unchurched homes, Buddists, or just plain lazy Chrisitans. If the parents aren't there to support in prayer or aren't taught how to guide and mentor their teenagers, then it is left to teachers, peers and the media. Church youth workers are often times standing in the gap, combating these forces that are pulling on our young people.

I do not know a better way yet. I do what I know to do. I obey the Lord, I preach his Son and his Son crucified. I read my Bible. I pray continuously. I am searching, Lord. How do I touch your teens for you? What can I do, Lord? You know their hearts. You know what they need. Show me if there is anything I can do to serve You and help your teens get closer to you.

I just want to mention that King David won God's heart as a youth. It is all over the Book of Psalm. In Timothy, we are admonished to be "Holy young people set apart for God." It can be done.

Your will be done, God. Your kingdom come, in these teens' hearts as it is in heaven.

4 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Brisco said...

i love the post, can i link it in one of my posts?

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

Amen, Amber! Don't ever give up on them. :)

 
At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's our policy:
We live for God right in front of them. We invite them into our home all the time, we invite them into our lives, we let them see Jesus living and loving through us 24/7. And that's made more impact than any Bible study or special program we've ever tried to pull off. They're just hungry for something REAL. Not another program or gimmick (you know that)...just something REAL.

Great post, by the way. Wish you lived near us!!!
:o)

Blessings

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger JayG said...

That's it. Be real. Kids can smell a phony a mile away. If you're not putting on Christ in a real way, they're walking the other way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home