Are You Desperate to See?

Jesus didn't die so we could have a religion.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Who's Not in Your Pews?

What's so special about Phoenix First Assembly? It is a mega-church in America but that is not what makes it special.

I just got back from the Pastor's/Leadership Conference there. The church is packed with extraordinary talent in all departments from youth, music, drama, preaching, deacons, prayer, marriage builders, etc. But the special thing that I noticed there is the ability for the staff to cast a vision for the church.

They dream huge and they are huge. They minister to the unwanted, untouched population in their areas. They had testimonies piled up of people that were bussed into the church or ministered to through people in the church going out to neighborhoods. These people are often times homeless, hungry, diseased, on drugs, prostitutes or pimps and the list goes on. People with money started coming to the church AFTER the programs started because they want to use their money to make an impact and saw that the church was making a difference in the world around them.

The church is growing because they are making an impact. They are reaching the people who would never attend church otherwise. And they are cleaning up lives with Jesus. It is pure truth taught through and through. It is not a 12 step program, it is a Christ centered teaching that rescues these people from the dregs of society.

I could go on and on with what impressed me there, but I thought this might be relevant to pastors out there. Find the population in your community that is missed by every other church. I think in my community it is the poorer Spanish speaking people and we can do many things with our smaller congregation to minister Jesus to them. Extend your church's hand out to meet your people where they are at.

The only thing you have to realize is that you have to be willing to share a pew with these people.

1 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger daisymarie said...

I was drawn to Isaiah 61 again this week. Always a good read and a good grounding point for me to remember my purpose and my focus. Amazingly, I found new stuff, relavent to now.

The director of the ministry I'm a part of shared a vision he had for expanding our outreach in the community. We work primarily with people coming out of jail and prison, addicted persons, and the lost of the community. It's exciting. It's going to take work. But oh the harvest and glory for God!

blessings and grace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home