Are You Desperate to See?

Jesus didn't die so we could have a religion.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Heartache

It never stops, does it?

A girl got saved in the youth group this past summer. She is now pregnant.

When teens fail (the teens I minister to), it always causes me to reflect on the ministry we are running. I realize life is all about choices we make and I can't make choices for people. They know right from wrong. They know about God. But it still causes me to stop and ask, "Is there something I can do better, God?"

Is there something better that we can do to help teens to not want to have sex, not want to try to commit suicide, not want to give into temptation, not want to be rebellious? Those who are serious about God are the ones that tend to come to the more in-depth classes where we explore true obedience and discipleship. In fact, the girl who got pregnant stopped coming to youth group a few months ago because she got a job.

Anyway, I am going to be searching out God on this. He is the only one who can say if there is something more we need to be offering his teens. There just might be a more excellent way.

3 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger daisymarie said...

I think that part of the problem is that we teach about sex. We make it forbidden fruit and that immediately puts it into a catagory that raises curiosity.

I think the better teaching is about love and better understanding of worth and value in God's eyes. Girls give in or use sex to find validation and in a twisted way equate it with love.

I think your searching out God's answer will lead you where you need to be.

Your heart for these kids is huge and so clear to see! I hope that they catch it!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I understand your sadness.

I work with teenage moms & pregnant girls, and I often come home brokenhearted.

God bless your devotion to these kids.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger bruce said...

Hi Amber,
I was just catching up on your posts after a very busy month. I was struck by your sadness over someone who ended up pregnant. After 28 years of ministering to youth I know what you mean. We want to deliver each sheep to God without scars.

But scars are what give us our character and often our ministry. We can learn by them or be defeated by them. Some of the most vital Christian leaders we have had the joy of raising up are not the ones from the center of the herd, but instead the ones from the edges who always seem to find trouble.

Not all of them are winners, but the ones who do endure and win sanctification through patient endurance often end up being able to lead others to Christ and to equip them to victory.

Keep your values for the group high. Do not give into the temptation to reduce the standards to the lowest common denominator. Set backs are not fatal if we apply the ointment of love. Our example is Jesus not each other. Expectations often cause us the most heartache. We must learn to leave them at the foot of the cross.

Thank you for your work.
"Sprucegoose"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home