Are You Desperate to See?

Jesus didn't die so we could have a religion.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Is the Church Embarrassing?

I am never embarrassed about God. I will tell anyone who will listen everything I can about God. I do not like to tell people I go to church.

I just realized today that I am embarrassed about church. I feel that people would judge me about being a church-goer but I am not so worried about being a Jesus freak. I believe that a widely held notion people have is that everyone who goes to church is a hypocrite, a false image, or just stupid. Can't we get God just fine without going into a church? Even within the Christian community there are conversations about what is wrong with today's church.

Yet it dawned on me that the church is like a person. Christ established the church and gave the church power. And even though the church is flawed, he works with what he's got to make something wonderful.

The church is not dead. The church isn't going to dry up and be blown away like dust in the wind. It is sometimes flawed, has issues, can't agree even with itself, might have a bad attitude but all in all, just like individual people, if a church is striving for the things of God, God will use that church, live in that body and make a statement to his world through his church.

I am never going to be embarrassed about going to church again. It is God's chosen vessel for this time.

3 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger rev-ed said...

You think it's embarassing to be a church-goer, try being a pastor. I happily admit to being a Christian, but I try to refrain from telling people my profession because of those stereotypes. Funny that people will usually listen to what I have to say more closely BEFORE they find out I'm a pastor.

The church is a institution of broken people. Is it any wonder that we embarass ourselves?

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Amber Lynn said...

Rev-Ed- I agree. My husband and I are on the brink of being pastors (we believe it is a team effort as husband and wife). Even in my own family (or especially in my own family) I feel weird about this like it will change their perceptions of me.

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some churches that we should be embarassed about! How about those legalistic churches that don't welcome the alien and stranger in their midst? Or those prosperity churches that tell a mother her son died because she had sin in her life? Or how about those churches that pay lipservice to evangelism but don't really believe in it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home